Citizen Police Academy 2023
Woodland Police Department Citizen Police Academy 2023
The Woodland Police Department Citizen Police Academy is a free interactive course designed to acquaint individuals who are not sworn police officers with the activities of the Police Department. The Citizen Police Academy is open to adults who live or work in the Woodland community. The maximum capacity for this class is 20 participants.
CPA 2023 OPENS FOR APPLICATIONS ON JULY 1, 2023
Participants will be selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. Only those who can commit to attending the full session should apply.
The Citizen Police Academy will run annually for 12 sessions in the fall of each year. Our Citizen’s Police Academy occurs annually each fall. The academy will start in September 2023 and run for 12 sessions ending in mid-December 2023. The class will meet on select Thursday nights from 6:00 to 8:30 pm and a few Saturdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Along with the classroom sessions, participants will be required to attend one ride-along session during the course of the academy in order to graduate from the program.
Citizen Police Academy Mission
The mission of the Citizen Police Academy is to strengthen community partnerships by offering citizens the opportunity to interact with our professional staff, increase their understanding of police operations and become ambassadors to the community.
September 2023 - December 2023
From 6 pm to 8:30 pm on Thursdays: 9/14, 9/21, 9/28, 10/12, 10/26. 11/2. 11/16, 12/7, 12/14
From 9 am to 4 pm on Saturdays: 10/7, 10/21, 12/2
- Woodland Police Department overview, history and tour
- Overview of police bureaus and functions
- Recruitment and training
- Overview of Dispatch
- Patrol Operations
- K-9 overview and demonstration
- Traffic laws, enforcement, and motors demonstration
- Tactical driving and traffic stops
- Firearms and Tasers Overview
- Defensive tactics and de-escalation techniques
- Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) overview
- Presentation on gangs
- Internal Affairs Investigation processes
- Role of the Public Information Officer
- Shoot and don’t shoot scenarios
- Crime scene investigations
- Homeless Outreach Street Team Overview
- Police Technology: Drones, Body Worn Cameras, LPRs
- Crime Prevention and community engagement programs
- and much more!
Citizen Police Academy participants must meet the following requirements:
- Live or work in the City of Woodland
- Minimum age of 18 years old (by September 1, 2023)
- No misdemeanor arrests within 5 years of application
- No prior felony convictions
After the application is reviewed and deemed acceptable, participants will need to complete a *Department of Justice fingerprint check before being accepted to the academy. *You do not schedule your own fingerprint appointments, a CPA Coordinator will contact you to schedule.
The application period is from July 1, 2023, until August 18, 2023, or until full. The academy is limited to 20 participants. No late applications will be considered.
How to Apply
The Application for the Citizen Police Academy will be live online starting July 1, 2023:
1. ONLINE APPLICATION FORM: You may complete the online Citizen Police Academy application form HERE. Please make sure you print, complete, and scan the following documents BEFORE filling out the online form. You will not be able to complete the application without these items:
- California Driver’s License or ID Card - scanned color copy (.jpg or .pdf format).
- City of Woodland Waiver of Liability, Medical Release, and Indemnification Agreement for Minor and Adult Participants - This form must be printed, signed, and submitted along with the online application.
All applications must have all requested documents and be thoroughly completed. After the application is reviewed, you will be contacted with the outcome and provided further information.
LIVESCAN - All accepted applicants will receive a LiveScan (fingerprinting) done at the Woodland Police Department before being allowed to participate in the program. A WPD representative will contact you to schedule after your application is reviewed.
For more questions about the Citizen Police Academy, please contact Trista Kennedy at 530-661-7865 or by email at Trista.Kennedy@cityofwoodland.org.