Street Lights

There are approximately 3,648 street lights in the City of Woodland, and within the next ten years this number is projected to increase to over 6,000. These lights are a mixture of the "very old" to the "brand new with an antique look," and most are owned and maintained by the City, but some are owned and maintained by Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E). 


A quick way to distinguish the ownership of a light is to identify on what type of pole it is mounted. A good rule of thumb to follow is that if the light is installed on a metal or concrete pole, the light belongs to the City; if the light is installed on a wooden utility pole, it belongs to PG&E. Whether it is a City owned or PG&E owned light, the City is responsible for paying the energy costs to operate the light. These costs are paid using fees collected via Gas taxes or through Lighting and Landscaping District assessments. The City pays a flat rate for energy costs to operate the lights (depending on their wattage), meaning the cost to operate a 100 watt light is the same whether it is on for 10 minutes a day or 24 hours a day.

LED Technology

Additionally, we are moving forward with light emitting diode (LED) technology for our street lighting needs; this is due to the increasing maintenance and operational costs associated with our current high pressure sodium (HPS) fixtures. LED fixture can last up to three times longer and use half the power, thus reducing both maintenance requirements and power consumption. PG&E has recognized this technology and has come up with a reduced rate structure and rebate program for LED installations.

Reporting a Light Malfunction

Because of the large amount of lights in our City, and because most malfunctions are only noticeable at night, it is difficult for us to determine when a light is not working. Because of this, we rely on the residents of Woodland to notify us when a malfunction is occurring. Citizens can report a malfunction by calling the City's Municipal Service Center at 530-661-5962. 

City owned lights should have a City identification number attached to the pole starting with the letter "C" and ending with a four-digit number (e.g., C-XXXX). Using this number along with a general address when reporting a malfunction will help us identify and repair the light in a timely manner. PG&E lights can be reported using their website at, or by contacting the City of Woodland.