Inspection Services

Requesting an Inspection

The City of Woodland has limited inspection resources for handling current City projects and development for the city. Oftentimes, there are more requests for inspection than can be accommodated and requests are handled on a first come, first serve basis. Therefore, it is important to give notification as early as possible, although we request the applicant give a minimum 24 hour notice.

Inspections are scheduled by calling the City of Woodland, Community Development Engineering at 530-661-5820. Inspection services are available Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Any request to deviate from this schedule may require overtime charges and will require the approval of the City Engineer.

Inspection Services

There are key elements the assigned Inspector must observe before the work can proceed to the next step or before backfilling. All work must be in conformance with current City Standard Specifications and Details (PDF). The following are examples of some of the key elements that must be observed:

  • Water, Sewer and Storm Drain Pipelines
    • Pipe bedding, backfill material used, trench compaction methods, sub-grade compaction, placement of aggregate base materials, trench paving.
  • Water Pipe
    • Prior to connecting to the city mains, new mains must pass a pressure test and a purity test.
  • Concrete Work
    • Forms or string line, proper location and widths of sidewalk and driveway approaches, compaction of native material, sand placement, concrete mix.
  • Street Paving
    • Scarification and compaction of sub-grade, placement and compaction of aggregate base material, grade checks, and your initial pavement runs (including viscosity, suitability of materials, and proper compaction).
    • Inspectors check pipeline grades for gravity lines, sanitary sewer and storm drain lines. Do not backfill any gravity lines without prior approval of the Inspector. Please contact the assigned Inspector with information regarding your plans to backfill the trench.

Encroachment Permits

An encroachment permit is required for any work that is done within the public right-of-way. An encroachment permit requires a plan that shows the proposed work. It also requires a standard processing fee and varying levels of other fees for inspection. Furthermore, some permits shall require additional insurance from the City.

Encroachment permit fees for processing and inspections shall be as per the current Comprehensive Fee Schedule (PDF) adopted by the City Council. Encroachment permits are obtained from the Community Development Department. For more information about Encroachment Permits, please refer to the Permit Services page on this site.