Woodland Police Department Explorer Program
Welcome and thank you for your interest in the Woodland Police Department Explorer Program. Confidentiality, dependability, loyalty, dedication and professionalism are the by-words under which the Police Department operates. We recognize community involvement as an important necessity and as a crucial component in reaching our goals and objectives. To this end, we have designed The Explorer Program to provide an outlet for youth to be involved with the Department and community.
A Police Explorer is chosen by a complex selection process and is considered one of today's highly respected youth. Explorers are trained in, and exposed to, many aspects of police work to prepare them to enter the law enforcement field. Explorers act as an aid to the Woodland Police Department in many areas and, at the same time, act as a catalyst in fostering communication between the police and the youth in the community.
Explorers are non-sworn, unarmed representatives of the Woodland Police Department who have no police powers. Explorers may not, under any circumstances, take any enforcement action or act in the capacity of a police officer.
To assist the public in a professional and respectful manner. To encourage our friends, family and community in a positive direction. To help when help is needed. We will strive to be better every day, we will listen to others and we will apply the values in TACTICS.
An Explorer candidate must:
- Apply between 14 to 18 years of age
- Be a high school student (grade 9 to 12) or attending college
- Maintain at least a 2 grade point average with no F's!
- Be actively enrolled in and participating as a full-time high school student until graduation is attained. Explorers are encouraged to attend higher education following high school graduation
- Be willing and able to pass a written exam, oral interview, and background investigation
Once accepted, Explorers may remain in the program until their 21st birthday.
If you are interested in learning more or joining the Woodland Police Department Explorer Program, please email us or call 530-661-7865.