Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Requirements

The City of Woodland’s ADU Ordinance was adopted by City Council on January 17, 2023. 

What is an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) and Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit (JADU)?

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are also known as second dwelling units, in-law units, granny flats, and/or mother-in-law quarters. ADUs are defined as complete independent dwelling units that have permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation located on the same property as a single-family home. ADUs may either be attached or detached from the primary home and/or include a conversion of existing legal space on the property. 

Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs) are semi-independent dwelling units no larger than 500 square-feet within a portion of an existing single-family home such as a garage, great room, home office, etc. JADUs include a bedroom, a food preparation area and storage cabinets, and may include a separate bathroom. JADUs also require an internal connection with the remainder of the home as well as a separate exterior entrance. 

Properties with ADUs and JADUs will be required to record a Deed Restriction for owner occupancy with the County of Yolo Recorder's Office prior to building permit issuance. For JADUs the owner of the property must reside in either the JADU or the primary dwelling on the lot as the owner's primary personal residence and legal domicile. 

Why are ADUs/ JADUs important to Woodland? 

ADUs/ JADUs provide housing opportunities in a flexible manner to address the unmet demand for affordable housing for the Woodland Community, including but not limited to, students, young professionals, small families, disabled individuals, senior citizens, etc. while also assisting homeowners to offset the cost of homeownership and maintenance, by renting out ADUs as an additional source of income. 

I am interested in building an ADU/ JADU on my property. Where should I start? 

Homeowners, property owners, and design professionals interested in constructing an ADU/JADU on a property should familiarize themselves with the ADU regulations of State law, the City's ADU Zoning Regulations, and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) handout as provided above. 

In addition, you may contact the Planning Division at 530-661-5913 or at if you have questions. 

Please Note: The City has provided copies of the most recently updated ordinance and forms for your review and use above. Some forms must be completed prior to issuance of building permits.