Assemblymember Mariko Yamada will join with the Yolo Family Resource Center, Yolo County Children’s Alliance and the IRS to host a FREE Tax Assistance Workshop at Woodland High School, 21 N. West Street, on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011 from 9-3.
Families earning up to $49,000 or less from wages and self-employment are eligible to receive FREE help preparing their taxes and may qualify for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Many people will qualify for the first time this year because of declining income, marital status change or the addition of children. Eligible taxpayers may qualify for federal assistance but can only receive the EITC if they file federal income tax returns and specifically claim the credit. For more information about the EITC, please visit http://www.irs.gov/.
Amounting up to $5,666 per family based on family size and filing status this year, EITC is designed to help alleviate the tax burden of low and middle-income working families and individuals. Such credit often goes unclaimed simply because workers aren’t aware of the program or assume that they are ineligible. In fact, $4 million dollars in EITC was left unclaimed by Yolo County residents alone last year.
Taxpayers must bring the following items to the workshops to complete the tax form:
• Photo Identification
• Valid Social Security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents (a signature of both spouses is required for a joint return, so both parties must be present. Dependents do not need to be present). Valid ITIN number will be accepted
• Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents to be claimed on the tax return
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
• Other relevant information about income and expenses including total paid for day care provider's identifying number
IRS staff and volunteers certified by the IRS in tax preparation will help attendees file Federal and State taxes for FREE. Bilingual volunteers will be available. To schedule appointments, please call Yolo Family Resource Center at (530) 406-7221.
( View PDF )