Indoor water usage accounts for approximately 50% - 60% of total residential water use with around 13% of the total residential water usage being for toilets, 9% for the shower, and 8% for the clothes washer. By replacing a standard clothes washer with a high efficiency (HE) washer, a family of four can save 8,000 gallons of water per year. Replacing all the toilets in a house for a family of four with HE models (1.6 gallon per flush toilets) can save 14,000 gallons of water each year. For ideas on how to save water indoors, see the indoor water conservation tips and websites below.
Indoor Water Conservation Tips:
- Install a low-flow shower head.
- Fix leaky faucets and toilets.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth and shaving.
- Wash full loads of laundry and dishes.
- Replace your old dishwasher, toilets, and washing machine with high-efficiency (HE) appliances.
Indoor Water Conservation Websites: