| Parenting & Inernet Safety|
The Woodland Public Library provides access to the Internet to support the information and education needs of library users. The Woodland Public Library provides the following suggestions because it wants you to be safe while you search the Internet.
To be safe, stick to search engines and links meant for kids. Visit the library kids' page for a list of good sites to visit and explore. Another way to stay safe is by talking with your parents about using the Internet and asking them to search with you. Please ask your parents to tell you about special rules they would like you to follow when you are using the Internet, and library staff members are here to help, so please ask.
Every parent or legal guardian is responsible for their child's use of all library materials, including the Internet. Parents who are concerned about their children's use of the Internet should talk to and provide guidelines for their own children.
- Visit the library often with your child.
- Spend time online visiting Internet sites with your child.
- Ask a librarian for guidance, and encourage your child to ask library staff for help finding information on the Internet.
- Take time to read the Internet Access Policy for the Woodland Public Library.
- Librarian's Guide to Great Websites for Kids - Here is a basic introduction to the Web and the Internet for families by the American Library Association.
- Especially for Young People and Their Parents - American Library Association.
- Families Connect - Kids and parents can learn together about the Internet, provided by the American Association of School Librarians.
- SafeKids.com - Tips, advice, and suggestions to make your family's online experience fun and productive.
- NetzSmartz - Games and activities teach kids 5 - 17 about safety on the Internet and how to protect themselves. Parents and educators will also find resources and activities to share with children. NetzSmartz is from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
- Kidz Privacy - Helpful tips from the Federal Trade Commission for safely surfing the Web.
- GetNetWise - This educational site on Internet safety offers websites and Internet tools for families to discuss Internet use and behavior.
- Cybersmart Kids Online - Smart Net surfing for kids and their grownups.
- Wired Kids - Information for parents and online safety programs for children and teens.
- Safe and Smart - This site offers guidelines and research about children's use of the Internet.
- Great Websites for Kids - American Library Association
- Evaluating Websites
- Evaluating Internet Resources