Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

What is the City of Woodland's consultant selection process?

As a public agency, the City typically contracts for professional and specialized services through the Qualifications Based Selection (QBS) process. Rather than based on a quoted dollar amount, our selection is based on an objective scoring system applied to a firm's demonstrated ability to best perform the required work. When determined to be in the best interest of the public, and by specific action of the City Council, the Department also has the ability to award sole source contracts without public competition. For more information, please visit the Consultant/Contractor Guide page found on this site.

What are capital projects?

Capital projects are those that provide:     
Facility alterations, improvements, or new construction at a cost of $5,000 or more, 
Repair projects with a projected life of five or more years, and 
Maintenance projects with a cost of over $20,000. 

Also included are:

Facility related engineering studies of significant cost or that will lead to Capital Projects, and  Projects that are otherwise addressed in the Major Projects Financing Plan (MPFP)  Projects under these thresholds are generally addressed through the Operations and Maintenance (O&M) budget process. Also refer to the current year Capital Budget for all policy procedures leading up to execution of Professional Services Contracts. 

You may also contact Community Development Engineering at (530) 661-5820 to obtain further information regarding the  Three (3) Year Capital Budget Document.

What steps do I take to bid on a City of Woodland project?

For information regarding the steps of the City of Woodland bid process, please refer to the Capital Improvement Project Guide.

Does the City have a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program?

The City of Woodland has an established Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program in accordance with regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), 49 CFR Part 26. The City of Woodland has received Federal financial assistance from the DOT, and as a condition of receiving this assistance, the City of Woodland will sign an assurance that it will comply with CFR Part 26. You may also contact Community Development Engineering at (530) 661-5820 for more information.

When do I need an Inspector?

A City Inspector must be involved when any work is being conducted within the public right-of-way. The public right-of-way includes land which by deed, conveyance, agreement, easement, dedication, usage or process of law is reserved for and dedicated to the general public for street, highway, alley, public utility, storm drainage, water, sanitary sewer, sidewalk, bikeway or pedestrian walkway purposes. You may also contact Community Development Engineering at (530) 661-5820 to obtain further information regarding the public right-of-way. Please refer to the Inspection Services web page for more information. 

What are the city's backflow prevention assembly requirements?

Backflow prevention devices serve to protect the domestic water supply from contamination from unsanitary sources. Backflow prevention assemblies shall be installed per the Standard Specifications and Details (reference Standard Detail No. 760: Backflow Prevention Assembly). Backflow Prevention Assembly Model must be on State Department of Health's current approved list. You will need to contact a certified backflow prevention assembly tester to perform the necessary work. Although the City of Woodland will not recommend one firm over another to perform the work, there are several approved firms who are willing to provide this service. Please feel free to contact the City of Woodland, Public Works Municipal Service Center at (530) 661-5692 for more information about these companies.

Prior to city sign-off, tests are due on installation. Contact the City of Woodland, Public Works Municipal Service Center at (530) 661-5692 for testing information or click here for the Backflow Prevention Assembly Test Form.

How do I prepare a Traffic Control Plan (TCP) for the city?

A Traffic Control Plan provides for safe and efficient movement of vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians through or around construction activities while also protecting the construction worker and equipment. The City of Woodland requires all TCP submittals to be reviewed by the City Traffic Engineer. All plans need to be in conformance with the current Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways please reference Part 6 - Temporary Traffic Control.  The TCP must be approved prior to initiating construction and impacting traffic flows.

How do I get Benchmark information?

The City has a benchmark network that must be referenced on all surveys submitted to the City. Please refer to the City of Woodland Benchmark Information web page. For more information, see the City Code (refer to Chapter 21 Article 16, Section 21-16-1.)

Further Questions:

If you have viewed the Frequently Asked Questions section of our website and you have any suggestions for helping us improve our ability to better serve your needs, please feel free to contact us.