How do I apply for an alarm permit, renew an existing permit or pay a false alarm fine?

The link for an alarm permit application is below.  Payment instructions are on the form.  Renewal bills will be sent earlier in the month before the expiration date. 
False alarm fines are $80 per incident with the first incident free.  Incidents are counted per calendar year.  False alarms are billed monthly.


What are the Police Department's Business Office hours?

The Business Office is open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is closed on Fridays, weekends and most holidays.

Whom do I contact to pick up a stray animal?

The County of Yolo handles all animal control for the City of Woodland and the surrounding areas. You can contact Animal Control at 530-668-5287.

Are passengers affected by this law?

No. This law only applies to the person driving a motor vehicle.

Can a law enforcement officer stop me for using my hands-free device while driving?

No. For drivers under the age of 18, this is considered a SECONDARY violation meaning that a law enforcement officer may cite you for using a hands-free wireless phone if you were pulled over for another violation. However, the prohibition against using a handheld wireless telephone while driving is a PRIMARY violation for which a law enforcement officer can pull you over.

Can I be pulled over by a law enforcement officer for using my handheld wireless telephone?

YES. A law enforcement officer can pull you over just for this infraction.

Do I need a permit for a burglary/robbery alarm installed in my home or business.

Yes, Woodland has an alarm ordinance that requires every home or business with an alarm system to obtain a permit. Permits cost $36.00 for new/first time permits. Alarm permit renewal fee is $24.00 per year. The ordinance is designed to reduce false alarms. An additional $80.00 fee is charged for each false alarm in the calendar year with the exception of the first false alarm (no charge).    
Questions or additional info - send an email to burglar.alarm@cityofwoodland.org.

Do these laws apply to out-of-state drivers whose home states do not have such laws?


Does the new “hands-free” law allow drivers 18 and over to text page while driving?

The law does not specifically prohibit that, but an officer can pull over and issue a citation to a driver of any age if, in the officer’s opinion, the driver was distracted and not operating the vehicle safely. Text paging while driving is unsafe at any speed and is strongly discouraged.

Does the new “hands-free” law prohibit you from dialing a wireless telephone while driving or just talking on it?

The new law does not prohibit dialing, but drivers are strongly urged not to dial while driving.

Does the new hands-free law allow you to use the speaker phone function of your wireless telephone while driving?


Does Woodland have a Curfew Ordinance?

It shall be unlawful for any minor under the age of eighteen years to loiter, idle, wander, stroll or play on or upon the public streets, highways, roads, alleys, parks, playgrounds or other public grounds, public places and public buildings, places of amusement and eating places, vacant lots or other unsupervised places between the hours of 10:00 p.m., or 11:00 p.m. daylight savings time and sunrise immediately following; provided, however, that the provisions of this section do not apply when the minor is accompanied by his or her parents, guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of the minor, or when the minor is upon an emergency errand directed by his or her parent or guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of the minor or when the minor is returning directly home from a meeting, entertainment, recreational or occupational activity or dance.

Does Woodland have an ordinance pertaining to door to door solicitation?

Yes, solicitors are required to avoid homes and businesses where "No Soliciting" signs are posted and clearly visible from all entrances onto the property. An individual is in violation of the ordinance if they choose to knock at a door where such signs are posted. Religious and political organizations are exempt from this ordinance. Solicitors are required to carry and be prepared to show a business license issued by the City. Violations of the ordinance can be reported to the police department by calling the non- emergency dispatch number at 530-666-2411.

DRIVERS UNDER AGE OF 18; Am I allowed to use my wireless telephone hands free?

NO. Drivers under the age of 18 may not use a wireless telephone, pager, laptop or any other electronic communication or mobile services device to speak or text while driving in any manner, even hands free. EXCEPTION: Permitted in emergency situations to call police, fire or medical authorities. (VC 23124).

DRIVERS UNDER AGE OF 18; Can my parents give me permission to allow me to use my wireless telephone while driving?

NO. The only exception is an emergency situation that requires you to call a law enforcement agency, a health care provider, the fire department or other emergency agency entity.

DRIVERS UNDER AGE OF 18; Does the law apply to me if I’m an emancipated minor?

Yes. The restriction applies to all licensed drivers who are under the age of 18.

DRIVERS UNDER AGE OF 18; If I have my parent(s) or someone age 25 years or older in the car with me, may I use my wireless telephone while driving?

NO. You may only use your wireless telephone in an emergency situation.

DRIVERS UNDER AGE OF 18; May I use the hands-free feature while driving if my car has the feature built in?

NO. The law prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from using any type of wireless device while driving, except in an emergency situation.

DRIVERS UNDER AGE OF 18; Why is the law stricter for provisional drivers?

Statistics show that teen drivers are more likely than older drivers to be involved in crashes because they lack driving experience and tend to take greater risks. Teen drivers are vulnerable to driving distractions such as talking with passengers, eating or drinking, and talking or texting on wireless phones, which increase the chance of getting involved in serious vehicle crashes.

DRIVERS UNDER AGE OF 18; Will the restriction appear on my provisional license?


How can I obtain a sound permit?

A Sound Amplification Permit Application is available at the front office of the Police Department at 1000 Lincoln Avenue. The department will review the application. A fee of $25.00 is due upon approval of the application.

How can I request police reports?

Traffic or crime reports are available from the Police Department per the terms of the California Public Records Act and California Government Code Section 6254f at the front counter during regular business hours for $0.15 (15 cents) per page.  Photo ID is required.

How do I get permission for a Street Closure?

To request a street closure, please complete the form: (PDF LINK) and submit it to the Woodland Police Department Traffic Division. All street closure requests must be made at least 72 hours in advanced of the desired closure. A fee of $29.00 is due upon approval of the street closure. Please see the form for further information.

How do I report homeless related issues or homeless camps?

As part of a city-wide joint effort the Woodland Police Department has established an email and hotline number for citizens to use to inform us of homeless related issues or concerns. As this is a newly formed program please understand that sometimes because of multiple variables these issues may not be addressed immediately but will instantly be forwarded to our Homeless Outreach Street Team for review. Report issues or concerns:


E-Mail: HOST@cityofwoodland.org

Hotline: 530-661-7879


Note: If the issue is something that requires immediate police attention such as a crime in progress please either dial 911 or 530-666-2411 as this phone line will not be monitored 24/7.

How long can a car be parked on a City of Woodland residential street before it has to be moved?

Answer:  72 hours.

How long can travel trailers and motor homes be parked on a city street in Woodland?

Answer:  24 hours.

Is alcohol allowed in City of Woodland parks?

Alcohol is allowed in parks by permit only. Contact the Parks & Recreation Department at 530-661-5880 for information about obtaining a permit.

Is there a number other then 9-1-1 that I should call if I require a police officer's assistance in a non-emergency situation?

Yes, 9-1-1 should only be used in life threatening situations or emergencies. In other circumstances requiring a police officer's response in the City of Woodland we ask that you call our non-emergency dispatch number at 530-666-2411.

Is there a process to contest a parking ticket?

You may obtain a Request for Parking Citation Review form from the front office of the Police Department. The form must be filled out completely and returned to the Police Department with a photocopy of the citation within 21 days of the citation date. You will be notified by mail if your request has been accepted or denied.

Is there an ordinance that covers abandoned vehicles?

Answer:  Yes. The Police Department has an abandoned vehicle abatement program staffed primarily by a volunteer. Vehicles may be considered abandoned if they have been parked on a city street for more than 72 hours without being moved. If you suspect a vehicle is abandoned please call the non-emergency dispatch number, 530-666-2411 and advise them of the location of the vehicle and a description of the vehicle including license plate number

Traffic calming, speed limits, speed enforcement

Speed Limits/Speed Limit Signs:

The California Vehicle Code establishes prima facie speed limits for roadway types, including a maximum speed limit of 25 mph in residential and business districts.  With very few exceptions, the City does not post speed limit signs on residential streets unless the approved speed limit varies from this prima facie speed.  In other words, all residential streets have speed limits of 25 mph unless they are posted otherwise. 


For larger streets, speed zone surveys are completed on regular intervals to determine the appropriate speed for the roadway.  The California codes require that speed surveys be performed to collect actual speeds that drivers are traveling, this information is then used to determine how fast 85% of drivers travel.  This 85th percentile is determined by the codes to be the speed limit that is reasonable and prudent.  Maximum speed limits are based upon the 85th percentile speed with some variation based on road geometry and the presence of non-motorized users.


Radar Speed Limit Signs:

In the City of Woodland, the use of radar speed limit signs are reserved for use in school areas to raise awareness of speeds.  To use them throughout town would reduce their effectiveness and would be extremely expensive.  The cost to install one of the radar signs is between $20,000 and $100,000 depending on the power source and sign location.


Speed Enforcement:

A major challenge with speeding is the perception of speed.  The closer you are to the street, or the louder the vehicle is, the faster they appear to be traveling.  The best way to explain this is to think of a commercial airplane, in the sky they look like they are traveling very slowly when in fact they are traveling at close to 600 mph!  In contrast, picture having your car breakdown on the freeway and having to stand next to the freeway waiting for a tow truck, those vehicles traveling 60-80 mph would feel like they were traveling much faster since your proximity to them is much less.  We often find that our perceptions of travel speeds are significantly different than the measured speeds.


This is not to say there are no speeders out there, just that there may be fewer than we perceive.  One immediate way to encourage others to slow down, is to drive slower yourselves.  Driving at or just below the speed limit will raise awareness to others who may be unconsciously speeding.  Also, getting to know your neighbors – since they are often the most likely culprits – can help raise neighborhood awareness and lower speeds.


If general awareness does not reduce the problem, speed and traffic enforcement is the responsibility of Woodland PD officers and they work very hard to monitor as much of town as possible.  However, we appreciate your patience and understanding because over 200 miles of roadway and more than 13 schools in the City there is a lot of land to cover with only two traffic officers! 


Traffic Calming:

Requests for traffic calming can be made by contacting the Traffic Engineering division at 530-661-5820 or via email at web-transportation@cityofwoodland.org.  Traffic calming must meet warrants (minimum criteria) for installation and is not permitted on certain roadways for public safety and emergency response.  The process for requesting traffic calming and petition forms can be obtained by contacting our staff.


Stop Sign Requests:

The installation of stop signs must meet warrants (minimum criteria) for installation to determine if traffic volumes and intersection history justify the sign. Stop signs are not a speed control or traffic calming measure and as such, speed is not a factor in determining if a stop sign is warranted. The process for evaluating a stop sign begins with a traffic volume study which can be requested by contacting the Traffic Engineering division at 530-661-5820 or via email at web-transportation@cityofwoodland.org


Parking Enforcement:

Concerns about parking signs, curb paint or other parking issues and requests for changes to existing signs/striping, can be made by contacting the Traffic Engineering division at 530-661-5820 or via email at web-transportation@cityofwoodland.org


If you have concerns about enforcement of, or compliance with, existing signs, curb paint or other markings, please contact Woodland Police Department for parking enforcement assistance at 661-7800.

What are the fines if I’m convicted?

The base fine for the FIRST offense is $20 and $50 for subsequent convictions. According to the Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule, with the addition of penalty assessments, a first offense is $76 and a second offense is $190.

What if I need to use my telephone during an emergency, and I do not have a hands- free device?

The law allows a driver to use a wireless telephone to make emergency calls to a law enforcement agency, a medical provider, the fire department, or other emergency services agency.

What if my phone has a push-to-talk feature, can I use that?

No. The law does provide an exception for those operating a commercial motor truck or truck tractor (excluding pickups), implements of husbandry, farm vehicle or tow truck, to use a two-way radio operated by a “push-to-talk” feature.

What is considered a noise violation?

A noise violation is considered to be any loud, unnecessary or unusual noise, which annoys, disturbs, injures, or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others.

What is considered graffiti?

Graffiti is defined as the unauthorized spraying of paint or marking or ink, chalk, dye or other similar substances on public and private buildings, structures and places where it is visible to the public (City Ordinance 1181).

What is the City's policy regarding the Police Observation Devices (PODs)?

Please see the attached City policy on the use of the Police Observation Devices (PODs).


What is the City's policy regarding the use of the Automated License Plate Reader (ALPR)?

Please see the attached City policy on the use of the Automated License Plate Reader (ALPR).

What is the difference between the two laws?

The first prohibits all drivers from using a handheld wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle. (Vehicle Code (VC) 23123). Motorists 18 and over may use a hands-free device. Drivers under the age of 18 may NOT use a wireless telephone or hands-free device while operating a motor vehicle(VC 23124).

What is the fine for illegally parking in a handicap parking stall in Woodland?

Answer:  $275.00

What other exceptions are there?

Operators of an authorized emergency vehicle during the course of employment are exempt as are those motorists operating a vehicle on private property.

When am I required to obtain a permit for sound?

A permit is required for the broadcast of a radio, phonograph or similar instrument, using voice or sound amplifiers, either into a public thoughfare from a fixed location or a moving vehicle, or in connection with any public celebration, public function on a public holiday, or in connection with the broadcast of events of interest to the general public.

When are bike helmets required?

Bike helmets are required for individuals under 18 years of age. This requirement is not only for bicycles, but for non-motorized scooters, skateboards and in-line skates, and also applies to passengers. For additional information see the DMV Vehicle Code.

When are child safety seats required?

Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat. Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4'9” in height may be secured by a booster seat, but at a minimum must be secured by a safety belt. (California Vehicle Code Section 27363.)

When do the new wireless telephone laws take effect?

The new laws take effect July 1, 2008

Where can I pay a parking ticket fine?

Parking ticket fines can be mailed or paid directly at the Finance Department payment window in City Hall at 300 First Street, or at the Police Department at 1000 Lincoln Avenue.

Where do I report graffiti?

If you see the application of graffiti in progress, please call 9-1-1. If you see graffiti already applied, please contact the Police Dispatch at 530-666-2411 or email photos with location info to graffiti@cityofwoodland.org.

Whom do I contact regarding animal services?

The Animal Services division of the Yolo County Sheriff-Coroner's office provides animal services to the City of Woodland.  For more information, please visit their website: http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/services/animal-services/

Contact information:
Animal Services
2640 East Gibson Road
Woodland CA 95776

Phone:  (530) 668.5287, (916) 375-6492
Fax:  (530) 668-5288

Will I receive a point on my drivers license if I’m convicted for a violation of the wireless telephone law?

NO. The violation is a reportable offense: however, DMV will not assign a violation point.

Will it be legal to use a Blue Tooth or other earpiece?

Yes, however you cannot have BOTH ears covered.

Will the conviction appear on my driving record?

Yes, but the violation point will not be added.

Will there be a grace period when motorists will only get a warning?

NO. The law becomes in effect on July 1, 2008. Whether a citation is issued is always at the discretion of the officer based upon his or her determination of the most appropriate remedy for the situation.