Thanks to a combination of its green waste and street sweeping programs, Woodland is proud to claim some of the cleanest streets around. The green waste program limits the types of green waste that can be put on the street, the amount of debris placed in the streets, and the timing for green waste piles. To learn more about the green waste program, go to our Green Waste Pile Program page.
Street Sweeping Map
Every street in Woodland is swept once a week! To find out what day of your street gets cleaned, please view the Woodland street sweeping map (PDF).
Benefits of Street Sweeping
- Sweeping up leaf debris reduces the potential for flooding from clogged storm drains during the rainy season.
- Sweeping keeps the bike lane clean and safe for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Sweeping keeps your street and your City clean and attractive.
How You Can Help
Help Woodland keep streets cleaner by:
- Following the green waste street pile program rules and using your green waste bin whenever possible
- Moving personal vehicles / trailers off of the roadway during your street sweeping day
- Not parking in front of businesses on their street sweeping days
- Keeping your street clear of basketball hoops and other structures that may impede the street sweeper from cleaning the street and gutter
- Keeping trash, broken glass, soil and other inorganic material out of the street
- Reporting abandoned vehicles
Importance to the Environment
An effective street sweeping program is important because removing debris from gutters and roadsides means less debris goes down the storm drains and into the Tule Canal, eventually finding its way to the Sacramento River and causing water pollution.
Residents who rake or blow leaves and yard clippings into the street make it more difficult for street sweeper crews to remove these potential pollutants from the gutters and storm drains.
The City's street sweeping program is only part of the solution to water pollution. Residents can help by being aware of how their actions can contribute to or help solve the problem. For instance, over-watering can wash pollutants from yards and streets into gutters and storm drains. These pollutants include pesticides, fertilizers, motor oil and yard clippings.
For More Information
Street sweeping services are provided weekly by Woodland's franchise waste hauler, Waste Management. For assistance with street sweeping or to report an issue, contact Waste Management at (530) 662-8748.