Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Recycling is just one of the 3 R’s in the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle loop, and while it plays a key role in helping the environment, preventing waste from the start is just as important. We can reduce the amount of waste we generate by reducing the amount of products we use and reusing items whenever possible. Here are some ways to reduce and reuse.
- Buy what you need and use what you buy.
- Buy in bulk or buy products without packaging.
- Use rechargeable batteries and devices.
- Print on both sides of paper.
- Prepare home-cooked meals instead of eating take-out.
- Buy durable items that will last longer.
- Drink tap water rather than buying bottled water.
- Remember that buying locally reduces greenhouse gases.
- Bring your own reusable shopping bags to stores.
- Buy used items when possible.
- Rent, lend or borrow instead of buying new items.
- Use non-disposable items such as towels and dishes.
- Buy products made from recycled materials.
- Borrow books and magazines from local libraries or donate your old ones.
- Use back side of paper for scratch paper.
- Consider repairing items instead of buying new ones.
- Donate used items to charities or offer them, through consignment stores to others.
Buying used items keeps the demand for new items low, which in turn, helps reduce the amount of materials needed to make new items. Donating used items helps keep the cycle going. If donating items, please call ahead to find out which items are accepted.
Local Reuse Centers & Information
Big Blue Recycling Barn Thrift Store
The Yolo County Central Landfill operates its own reuse store! The following items are accepted/not accepted for donation:
- Kids toys, outdoor play structures, wagons, etc.
- Sporting goods, exercise equipment, weights, etc.
- Lumber (clean wood 2x4's and 4x4's)
- Doors and screens
- Windows (double-paned, vinyl)
- Flooring (including tile/hardwood)
- Lighting fixtures, lamps @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Wood furniture
- Patio furniture and umbrella stands
- Office furniture/supplies
- Bricks and pavers
- Cabinetry, countertops (drawers/doors in tact)
- Lawn/garden (flower pots, garden tools, wheel barrows, lawn mowers, etc)
- Housewares, dishes, cookware, picture frames, framed mirrors, knick knacks @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Upholstered cloth furniture of any kind
- Car seats
- Cribs (unless fully assembled)
- Chandeliers, ceiling fans
- Rugs or used carpets
- Mirrors without frames
- Electronics that do not work or without chargers @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Other Reuse Centers & Information
- CalMAX - California Materials Exchange
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore - Sacramento and Roseville areas
- RecycleStore - CalRecycle recycle store
For more information on ways to reduce and reuse: